Morića Han was built at end of the XVI or the beginning of the XVII century. It is the last preserved caravanserai in this region. Caravanserai (caravan-serai = caravan-palace) is a large building enclosing a courtyard, used for accomodating caravans.
Morića Han could accommodate about 300 passengers and 70 horses. The ground floor was used for housing horses and storing merchandise. The first floor was used for housing guests.
Evliya Çelebi wrote about his visit to Sarajevo in 1659 and described Morića Han as Hadži-Bešir's han, because Hadži-Bešir was the han's landlord at the time. Han got its modern name from the surname of the han's tenants at the beginning of the XIX century, Mustafa-aga Morić (d. 1815) and his son Ibrahim-aga Morić (d. 1827).
The han has survived several fires, most recently in December 1957. It was thoroughly reconstructed from 1971 to 1974 and decorated with Persian caligraphy inscriptions from poems written by Omar Khayyám, Persian philosopher, mathematician, astronomer and poet.
The Waqf Management rents the han for business purposes that match the historical context, including a national restaurant, a Persian carpet shop "Isfahan" and religious associations.